Hunting in Meigs County

Hunting is the way of life in Meigs County. Deer hunting is the big favorite for the hunters, as well turkeys, coyotes, and rabbits.

For more information regarding hunting in East Tennessee, please go to

License Information

The hunting and fishing licenses go on sale February 18 each year, the beginning of prime fishing, and are valid until the last day of February the following year. Most licenses, except the Lifetime Sportsman License and specialty licenses, such as Wheelchair, Disabled Veteran, SSI (Supplemental Security Income), and Blind Fishing licenses, are available from most county clerks, sporting goods stores, hardware stores, boat docks, online, and from all TWRA offices.

Hunting License Requirements

Who Must Have a Tennessee Hunting License?

Hunting in Meigs CountyIf you hunt game or attempt to hunt game by any method or if you assist someone else to do so, you must have a valid hunting license. There are some exceptions:

  • Residents born before March 1, 1926 (with proof of age and residency).
  • Military personnel on leave carrying leave papers.
  • Landowners, their spouses, and children who hunt on farmland which is owned by said landowners. The aforementioned must be residents of Tennessee but need not reside on the land. This license exemption does not apply if the farmland is owned jointly or in common by unrelated persons.
  • Resident grandchildren (under the age of 16) and resident great-grandchildren (under the age of 16) who hunt on farmland which is owned by their resident grandparents or great-grandparents.
  • Tenants, their spouses, and their dependent children who hunt on farmland owned by an individual or family. The aforementioned must be residents of Tennessee and must actually reside on the land and have the permission of the landowner to hunt. A tenant is a person who, for money, free rent, or other consideration, cares for farmland. The tenancy must be agricultural in nature.
  • First cousins who own farmland jointly or in common may fish and hunt small game on the farmland. Their children may fish and hunt small game as well.
  • Resident and nonresident youths under 13. Hunters ages 10-12 need only a hunter education certificate to hunt. However, youths 6-16 hunting big game on a WMA must have a valid Type 094 or Type 095 permit or quota permit, as applicable.

Resident Hunting License Qualifications

  • Persons who possess a valid Tennessee driver’s license or Tennessee state ID issued by the Department of Safety. Tennessee state law requires drivers to obtain a Tennessee driver’s license within 30 days of residency. Out-of-state drivers license only accepted for Military Personnel and Students meeting the criteria below:
    • Military personnel on active duty in this state and their immediate families, who reside with them, regardless of resident status.
    • Students who are enrolled in a Tennessee school, college, or university for at least six months (must present a student ID card or other proof of enrollment
  • Persons who do not drive or do not possess a valid driver’s license from another state, but who have lived in Tennessee for 90 consecutive days with the genuine intent of making Tennessee their permanent home, may prove residency by presenting to a TWRA license agent any two of the following documents:
    • Current Tennessee voter registration card
    • Current Tennessee vehicle registration or title
    • Form I-94 issued by the US Citizenship & Immigration Service
    • Current rental/mortgage contract or receipt including deed of sale for property or receipt for payment of Tennessee real estate taxes within last year

A Social Security Number is required to purchase a Tennessee hunting or fishing license

 Nonresident Hunting Licenses

Anyone who does not qualify for a resident license must purchase the appropriate non-resident license(s) to hunt in Tennessee. These do not include WMA or special season permits

Read more about seasons and license information.